Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Blessings of Faith Shared


Dear Fellow Children of God,



A couple of weeks ago I was making pastoral calls on some elderly members of St. John.  I was visiting so that, as Pastor, I could bring them comfort and support for their faith.  But, in reality it was their faith which blessed me.



While visiting in the Pioneer Home with long-time St. John member, June Liebing, June said, “Pastor, I may not get around like I did, but I am so blessed.”  June then pointed out that even though she is in her 90’s and living in a nursing home, she can get around with a walker and her mind is clear.  She thanks God for the blessings of life and her relative health as she advances in age.



Later that same afternoon I was visiting with LeRoy and Thony Jenson.  LeRoy’s health has been a frustration and a struggle over the last few years.  However, as Thony was sharing with me the frustrations of LeRoy’s most recent doctor’s visit she said, “But, O Pastor, we’ve been so blessed.”  She reminded me that they will soon reach the 60 year milestone of their marriage.  Even knowing the on-going frustrations of LeRoy’s health challenges, Thony saw the loving hand of God in their lives.



It may seem easier to see God’s love when life is going well.  But, remember, God the Father sent His son, Jesus, as our Savior.  We need saving from our sin and the problems of life and death.  Jesus is not just here for the times of joy in life.  Jesus came because the problems of life are ultimately bigger than we are, and He saves us for eternal life through His life and death and resurrection. 



In John 16, the night His betrayal approached, Jesus told His disciples, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  Yes, we will have trouble, but those troubles do not mean that God has left us or that he doesn’t love us.  Those troubles are the reason that Jesus came to earth as our Savior.



Not everyone always sees the loving hand of God in the midst of life’s troubles and frustrations.  It takes faith, it takes trust in God to know His love when life is hard or frustrating.  But, when someone in the midst of life’s challenges shares their trust in the love of God with others, that faith and that sharing is a blessing.



Last month I meant to bring encouragement and blessings to some St. John members with a pastoral visit.  In reality, it was these members who blessed me.  I pray that through the people of His Church God encourages and sustains you to know that He loves you and saves you through our Savior, Jesus Christ. 



In this world we will have trouble.  But we can take heart.  Jesus has overcome the world.



A Child of God thankful for the faith witness of others,

Pastor Jonathan







****



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.



****

No comments:

Post a Comment