Thursday, June 7, 2012

Keeping in Touch With God


Dear Fellow Children of God,



As I talked to St. John members this week I learned that a number of families were out of town this past weekend.  I know of two St. John families that saw each other at Disneyland.  (Imagine!)  I know of two families that met each other in Homer.  One of those family groups was my two younger children who were in Homer for a baseball tournament.  How many other families do you think were traveling last weekend?



During summer, because school is out, schedules change.  I used to think that life slowed down in the summer.  Now I think that instead of schedules slowing down, we now plan different activities.  Many of those activities, such as fishing and camping trips, or vacations, take us away from home.  So, if summer schedules take us away from home how do we keep up our relationship with God and His people? 



God has established a Sabbath and established His church for the good of His people.  Children of God need time with God in praise and worship to maintain and strengthen our faith in Jesus as our Savior, so we have a day of worship.  And children of God need time together with other Christians to worship and grow and serve.  So I ask again, if summer schedules take us away from home how do we keep up our relationship with God and His people? 



When my family and I travel we seek to find another congregation where we can worship.  But, what do you do if your vacation takes you to a tent in the woods, or in Homer?  There are many verses in Scripture that encourage us to regular use or meditation on God’s Word.  For example, God spoke through Paul about the power and blessing of God’s Word, “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.  (Romans 10:17)



Have you considered personal or family devotions as a possibility for spending time with God while you are away from home?  I can share with you that when my friends and I moose hunt we actually have devotions daily, but sometimes we have special devotional time in camp on a Sunday.  That has actually been an opportunity for sharing God’s love with people who are seeking answers about God. 



How about your time away?  If you can’t attend worship, why not consider intentionally planning a time of personal or family devotions?  While devotions do not give you time with God’s people for encouragement the same way that worship does, nevertheless God strengthens us and feeds our faith in His word.  It is good for God’s people to use this gift of God daily.  But, when we are away and cannot gather with the people of God I find it good to plan a time of devotion which can include Bible Reading, discussion, prayer, and maybe even singing.



God does tell us we need time to rest.  Especially during the summer months it seems that time takes us away from home.  But, we don’t want to take a vacation from God.  He is always with us.  Before you leave, why not consider materials you can bring so that you and the family get to keep strong your faith in God’s love for you.  If you want some ideas contact me.  I might even have some to share.



A Child of God  Encouraging God’s children to stay strong in their faith

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  Another opportunity for St. John Members to worship during the summer is our Wednesday Worship service, held each week at 6:30 p.m.





****



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.


No comments:

Post a Comment