Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sharing Jesus' Love




Dear Fellow Children of God,



So, what is the best way to share God’s love with someone else?  God wants us to share Jesus with others so they may know His sacrificial love and His victorious resurrection so they may come to faith in Jesus and have eternal life.  What is the best way of sharing God’s love?  Is there a special method?  Are there special words?  God reminded me again this week that He can and does work anywhere, so we need to always be faithful and ready for the opportunity to share Jesus with someone else.



On Monday I was standing at the gun counter at Sportsman’s Warehouse and the mother of one of our child members walked up to the counter too.  We struck up a conversation as we were looking at guns.  (By the way, she was faster to purchase a gun than I was.)  We also talked about worship schedules, and options for caring for a 1 year old and worshiping at the same time.  She said she will be in church soon.  I wasn’t planning on talking about God and church at the gun counter, but God can and does work anywhere.



On Wednesday I was standing in line at Subway, reading e-mail on my smart phone.  A man that I knew through former members now living in Nevada saw me and asked, “Are you working on Sunday’s sermon?”  So, we got to talk a little about God and church.  I wasn’t planning on sharing God’s love in the line at Subway, but God can and does work anywhere.



But, my favorite experience that shows that God works in amazing ways was the baptism ceremony we had last Sunday.  Baptisms are not uncommon at St. John, but this baptism came about in a way I have not previously experienced.  On June 9 members of St. John walked in the Colony Days parade.  Our float told about our Vacation Bible School that began the following Monday, June 11.  As our members walked beside the float they handed out leaflets that invited people to the Community Picnic we held that day, and these leaflets also invited people to come to Vacation Bible School the following Monday.  Willie and Lilly were along the parade route and got invitations.  They attended Vacation Bible School and asked to be baptized.  So, after meeting with Willie and Lilly and their dad and grandmother we arranged for the baptism which took place last Sunday.



Our hope is always that the parade and picnic and Vacation Bible School bring people to Jesus’ love and to our congregation.  But, I did not expect this quick a result.  God can and does work anywhere.



In 1 Peter 3:15 God tells us about sharing His love, “15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect”  This week I gained a new respect for God’s instruction to “always be prepared.”  God can and does work anywhere.



A Child of God , Amazed at how God Works,

Pastor Jonathan



****



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.



****


 

No comments:

Post a Comment